Every year before the bowl season, many schools are hiring new head coaches. It’s unfortunate that many teams hire coaches from teams who have a bowl game to play. But that’s the way it is in college football. Recruiting cranks up as soon as the regular season ends so schools have to get a coach in place or get left behind.
So what teams have made out well and what others have fans that are wondering what the heck? Here are a few.
- Texas Longhorns– Tom Herman has had two great years as the head coach at the University of Houston. He should know the high school coaches in that state very well now and he inherits a Longhorns program that is at the bottom. But, previous coach Charlie Strong has stocked the cupboard pretty well so Herman can step in and win right away. Look for the Horns to do well.
- South Florida Bulls– They hired Charlie Strong after the Oregon Ducks hired away Willie Taggert. Strong should feel at home with the Bulls who use the “Hook em Horns” hand sign. All he has to do is trade in his burnt orange for green and gold. Strong is a good coach and at USF it won’t be the end of the world if they lose a game. He knows the state of Florida very well having been a defensive coordinator at the University of Florida. The Bulls will be in great shape.
- Oregon Ducks– The Ducks hired Willie Taggert away form USF. Taggert had the Bulls win totals on the rise every season. Before that he had Western Kentucky on the rise too. Now he is getting a shot at the big time. If the Ducks boosters (Phil Knight) isn’t impatient, he should do well with Taggert.
- Florida Atlantic Owls– Lane Kiffin gets another shot as a head coach after learning from the master, Alabama coach Nick Saban. With his big name and in the extremely fertile recruiting ground of South Florida, Kiffin could have FAU bowling very soon.
- LSU Tigers– The Tigers fans have to be wondering what happened? It was reported that Herman was coming to Baton Rouge to replace Les Miles. Then he wound up at Texas. LSU was then reduced to keeping Ed Orgeron, a coach who had three miserable seasons as head coach of SEC West rivals Ole Miss. Then they thought Kiffin might be joining the staff as offensive coordinator, which would have made the Tigers fans feel a bit better having stolen a coach from the Tide. Now that’s gone too. LSU could be in for a rough ride.
- Houston Cougars– Nothing against Major Applewhite. He could turn out to be really good. But Houston lost a great coach in Tom Herman and he’ll be a tough act to follow. The fans may have had a little bit easier time living with it had they landed Kiffin, but that didn’t happen. Apparently they could have gotten him as he settled for FAU.
- Temple Owls- They lost Matt Rhule to the Baylor Bears. Temple will have a tough time replacing him. It will be especially tough this late in the game. Maybe they should give Les Miles a call. If they can get him to go up north, that would be a good hire. Otherwise, they are probably going to have to go with an assistant coach or hire one from an FCS school.
- Les Miles– In the game of musical chairs that takes place this time every year, he looks to be the one left standing. Phil Fulmer lost this game several seasons ago when Tennessee fired him. He is still without a gig. Could this be Miles fate? He hasn’t really been in the running on most of these jobs. Yes, he’s coming off a couple of down years, but so was Charlie Strong. Someone would be getting a good coach of they hired Miles. But there aren’t many jobs still open.