We’re just beginning the third week of college football. There is still a ton of football left to be played this season, but there are already some coaches who are on the “hot seat” after two games. Their teams really need a win and soon. Who are they? Let’s look at them.
- Kentucky Wildcats– The Wildcats had a 35-10 lead late in the opening half of the season against Southern Mississippi. They gave up a late touchdown to take a 35-17 lead into the locker room, then proceeded to get outscored 27-0 in the second half. In their second game they went to Florida to face the Gators on the CBS 3:30 game and trailed 45-0 before getting a late touchdown. That added up to an 89-0 scoring run for the opposition in less than three halves of football. Add the fact that the UMass Minutemen were down only 10-7 after three quarters in Gainesville the week before and it looks even worse. But wait, it gets even worse. UMass lost to Boston College 26-7 on Saturday. Boston College is quarterbacked by Patrick Towles, the UK quarterback who was benched last season in favor of Drew Barker, who the Cats benched in the second half against Florida. With arch rival Louisville in the top ten, Mark Stoops seat is really warm right now. The Cats host New Mexico State on Saturday. They had better win.
- Northwestern Wildcats- There seems to be a theme here. Northwestern’s Wildcats are 0-2 after playing in the Outback Bowl a season ago. Come to think of it, they were blown out in that game as well. They have lost to Western Michigan and Illinois State. Ouch! When the schedule came out, those were penciled in as wins. Now, the Cats have to wonder who will be a win if they can’t beat a MAC school and Missouri Valley Conference team. This week they host the Duke Blue Devils and then it is time for the Big Ten schedule to start. They had better beat Duke or they could be looking at 0-12. Hopefully, Coach Pat Fitzgerald has built up enough good in recent years to survive this streak of really awful.
- Virginia Cavaliers– UVa has been very good in basketball and baseball in recent years. But they just have not been able to get the football program going. This year looks to be another lost year for the Cavs as they are off to an 0-2 start again this year. In the season opener, they lost to the FCS Richmond Spiders 37-20. Not good. This week they are at UConn and next week they have Central Michigan before the ACC schedule begins. There aren’t a lot of wins on the ACC slate so they had better get one of these next two at least. Bronco Mendenhall, the first year coach, has a huge rebuilding job ahead of him.
- Iowa State Cyclones– Already the worst team in Iowa after losing to Northern Iowa 25-20 and Iowa 42-3, the Cyclones might also be the worst team in the Big 12 as well. They will face an angry TCU this Saturday, so that will be 0-3. They have San Jose state the following week in a game they had better get. After that it is all Big 12 opponents the rest of the way and the only team they might have a shot at then will be Kansas. First year Head Coach Matt Campbell has gotten himself into a cyclone here with this rebuilding job.
- Washington State Cougars– Mike Leach finds himself on the “hot seat” once again, a season after taking the Cougars to a rare bowl appearance. Not only are the Cougars 0-2. but they lead all of college football in players arrested. Then Leach compounded the problem by claiming the police and the media are targeting his players. They have lost to Eastern Washington and Boise State. They have Idaho this week in a game they must win because after this week it is all PAC 12 competition the rest of the way. Leach could be in big trouble after a very good season only a year ago.