Earlier, we shared our thoughts on the Lesnar v Carwin fight. For many unsophisticated viewers, and even sophisticated viewers with a very strict standard for ending a fight, Carwin should have been handed that fight with a referee stoppage. As it happened, the referee allowed the fight to continue and Brock, having played possum for the entire first round, knowing that Carwin had never gone past the first round, came back in the second round, still fresh and submitted Carwin.
Brock Lesnar is 6’3”, 265 pounds of pure unadulterated badassitude. Carwin is one of the very, very few fighters who match up reasonably with Lesnar physically and with regard to talent. The difference is in the natural conditioning capacity, fitness and endurance. Lesnar is a freak of nature who is incredibly big, incredibly strong, fast, tough, very well conditioned. And that is before we start talking about his fighting chops. He really is a badass. But we know badassitude. If you have more of it, and you are smarter, you will win.
So how do you beat Brock Lesnar? Here are a few ideas:
1. Like we pointed out, Lesnar is a freak. That means that in a fight with this guy, bring your lunch. You cannot go in thinking that you can end the fight quickly. Your conditioning must be exceptional. Be ready to work.
2. Your stand up defense must be impeccable. Lesnar is so strong that a clean or even semi clean shot at your chin or any area in that neighborhood is game over. You cannot allow him a clean shot at anything above your neck.
3. Give him something to think about. We have noticed that this guy does not think anyone else can hurt him. He comes at his opponents with little concern for their power. We think if an opponent gave him something to think about, he might come out with more caution. We like spinning moves. A well executed spinning back kick in the bread basket might tame his advances. Heck, well timed and higher, it might even end the fight.
4. Good, solid martial arts techniques win every time! Keep your eyes on every single possible move of your opponent. Keep an eye out for your opponents’ weaknesses, think about how to exploit those weakness and move very, very fast to exploit the weakness.
5. If you have Lesnar on the ground, and you have a dominant position, THINK SUBMISSION HOLD. Don’t waste your time trying to pound him into submission.
6. Be efficient. Go back into your martial arts arsenal. Think through all the years you have been taught near lethal techniques. Find a few that fit his style of attack and use them to put him to sleep. The only hits that will affect this guy are the surprise, clean martial arts hits that are effective for their effectiveness and efficiency, not brute force because he owns that arena.
7. When on the ground, whatever you do must be part of a bigger plan to submit him via a hold. You must not expect to pound him into submission. You must think submission hold.
We like our ideas. What do you thihk?