As is normally the case, there are a handful of teams on their way to the NFL Playoffs nobody thought would be going when the season started in September. That means there a bunch of teams people had pencilled in that will be staying home. Who are the big disappointments so far ? Here are the teams at the top of that list.
- Carolina Panthers- Most had the Panthers as a strong Super Bowl contender, yet as of now they are a paltry 4-6. MVP Cam Newton has been mediocre all season. He said before the season began he wouldn’t do his touchdown celebrations from a year ago. We had no idea what he meant by that. Apparently he meant there wouldn’t be an occasion to do them.
- Arizona Cardinals- The Panthers opponent in last year’s NFC Championship Game has been equally bad. At 4-5-1 they look like a lock to be sitting home in January. They were supposed to be potent on offense yet had a home game that went five quarters where they couldn’t score even one touchdown.
- Green Bay Packers- Funny how when you are winning you are the greatest player in the game but go on a four game losing streak and you become a self-centered, bad teammate, lousy leader, terrible brother and son and all around bad guy. That is the plight of Aaron Rodgers these days. But the truth is the Pack has a bad defense and no running game. Not exactly the fault of the quarterback.
- Pittsburgh Steelers- The Steelers started off looking great bu in the last month the only team they’ve been able to beat is the woeful Browns. That’s not a playoff contender. Big ben has been hurt as usual and the defense has been porous.
- Cincinnati Bengals- This one is a shocker. The Bengals should be really good with that roster, but this year they have lost a ton of close games. Maybe it’s time to show Marvin Lewis the door?
So who does that mean we’ll see in the playoffs this year? We’ll definitely see the Dallas Cowboys who were 4-12 last year. And we will probably see the Atlanta Falcons, New York Giants and Detroit Lions, none of whom made the playoffs last season. We might even get to see the Miami Dolphins who used to be automatic but have been M.I.A, for the entire 21st Century so far. And welcome back to the post season Oakland Raiders. If the Steelers can get back in it, the playoffs will have a 1970s feel to it this year for sure.